Friday, March 18, 2011

The Twenty-Seventh Amendment. Plus some thoughts on citizenship

So I was flipping through my copy of the Constitution trying to find something and discovered something funny.

According to the footnote for the 27th Amendment, "Congress submitted the text of the Twenty Seventh Amendment to the States as part of the proposed Bill of Rights on September 25, 1789. The Amendment was not ratified together with the first ten Amendments, which became effective on December 15, 1791. The Twenty Seventh Amendment was ratified on May 7, 1992, by the vote of Michigan."

Huh... I'm going to assume that 200 years is the record for the longest time for an amendment to be ratified....

And in case anyone was wondering, the reason I have a copy of the Constitution (to be specific, I have The Declaration of Independence and Other Great Documents of American History, 1785-1865, edited by John Grafton) is that I'm taking an American politics class right now and, as my prof said in her email requesting we all obtain a hard copy of the Constitution, on the first day of class we "took a leaf out of the Republicans' book" and read the Constitution.

And what I was looking for is anything about natural born citizens. I just read an article my aunt posted on Facebook talking about how Arizona didn't pass a bill that, among other things, would stop granting automatic citizenship to the children of illegal immigrants born on US soil. I think it says somewhere in the Constitution that if you're born on US soil you're a citizen, end of story. But I can't find it, so I may be wrong.

However, whether or not I'm wrong, the instant anyone says "anchor babies" will no longer get citizenship, I say everyone who's ancestors were undocumented upon arrival here (so pretty much everyone who's all "my ancestors fought in the Revolutionary War!") should get shipped back to Europe.

Your ancestors were illegal immigrants (and screwed the current inhabitants a lot worse than anyone coming in illegally now... At least no one's being given smallpox now...) and you just decided that the children of illegal immigrants should not be granted citizenship.

2 comments:

  1. You may want to check out the 14th Amendment for the answer to your query about citizenship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete